Eating healthy in todays day and age can be difficult, being bombarded with quick fixes and short cuts to put mediocre food on the table. We are living faster paced lives yet our bodies are not being supported by a whole food diet. We need functional foods, foods that are not processed, but are as close to their natural state as we can get them. We've discovered The Wazoogles brand, and it stands to support those searching for a jam packed nutritional boost to unleash the best version of yourself.
Created by a band of brothers, Warren and Gavin Goodman, passionate surfers, chefs, travellers and yogi’s who are grounded and immersed in the present beauty of the natural world. Brothers, born four years apart and raised in the beautiful city of Cape Town, South Africa. Gavin, an advertising photographer with a thriving career and Warren, a seasoned graphic designer, is a successful jeweller and diamond consultant.
Leading active lifestyles in Cape Town, Warren constantly battled with his immune system; colds and the flu often forced him to sit at home while his mates tortured him with stories of epic waves and stand-up barrels. When western medicine failed and eastern medicine prevailed, he realised how vital food actually is to a healthy body and mind. After thousands of hours of reading, self-study and sharing good food with family and friends, Warren slowly, but naturally embraced a plant-based whole foods lifestyle with an emphasis on superfoods and Chinese medicinal super herbs.
From visiting his GP every 4-6 weeks, Warren has not seen his face in years, neither has he taken any pharmaceuticals. He doesn’t get sick anymore, he has constant energy, sleeps like a baby and always has a HUGE smile on his face. The proof was in the eating and life tasted amazing. Warren then converted Gavin to the world of superfoods and plant-based living after he experienced similar challenges with his immune system whilst battling against chronic fatigue syndrome.
Sick and tired of witnessing large food companies pull the wool over consumer’s eyes, they decided to develop their own product. Something real, a product where the front of the pack is as honest as the back. Sourcing from the smallest and most ethical farms around the globe, from 14,000ft on the peaks on the Andes Mountains in Peru to the tropical Amazon rainforest, the foods sourced for this product are some of the most nutrient dense foods on this planet. As two passionate brothers, they have developed something that is packed with all the essential minerals and nutrients that are by large lacking in the in-organic mass produced agricultural food system of today. A product that not only makes you feel amazing, but is absolutely delicious and takes no more than 2 minutes to make. Focussing on convenience, health and taste, Warren and Gavin wanted to share their knowledge and passion and make this lifestyle accessible to everyone and this is their first step, the first step of many. Welcome to the world of Wazoogles.
You can buy Wazoogles online or in store at Sprigs The Food Shop, right here in Kloof.
At Sprigs we believe in food that is locally sourced, sustainably produced, prepared with love and nourishing for your body.
Protein Content: 27g protein per serving
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1.5 frozen bananas
- 2 level scoops Wazoogles Superfood
- +- 7 blocks of ice
- 1 Cup water
- Optional extras (see below until tips and tricks)
TO MAKE IT:
- Add all of the above contents to a blender.
- Blend and enjoy!
- If some of the frozen ingredients aren't blending properly, then whilst the blender is not on, pulse the ingredients quickly every few seconds.
SMOOTHIE TIPS AND TRICKS:
How to freeze your bananas:
- Peel off the skin, place in an air tight Tupperware and store in the freezer. Will store for several months. Provided your bananas don’t have frostbite (a thin layer of ice frosting covering them), they are good to go!
I don’t like bananas? What now…
- Bananas are an amazing base for smoothies as they provide a creamy texture and sweetness. However if you aren't a banana fan, there are tons of other options you can use. Try using a thicker milk alternative eg: coconut milk or yoghurt as a base and add some honey to sweeten. You can also add cashew nuts, almonds, sugar free peanut butter or other nut butters, chia seeds, sunflower seeds or hemp seeds to thicken your smoothie. Once you have the creamy texture and sweetness down, you can leave it at that or add a fruit to the mix as well, be creative and add what you feel will be delicious. A winner is for sure strawberries and/or mixed frozen berries and don't forget about your best friend cinnamon!
What other liquids can I use as a base in my Wazoogles?
- Coconut water (Adds sweetness and is amazing for re-hydration filling your body with electrolytes)
- Tea: Redspresso, Rooibos, green, vanilla chai etc. (you can throw it in hot, just add extra ice)
- Hemp milk, almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk (from a can), oat milk, quinoa milk, yoghurt and regular milk if you absolutely have too. At Wazoogles, we believe in health, but we also believe in balance. It’s better to have Wazoogles with regular milk than no Wazoogles at all!
It’s not creamy enough for me.
- To give your Wazoogles shakes more dairy like creaminess, try adding a table spoon of any of the following: Chia seeds, cashews, almonds, macadamia nuts, sunflower, hemp, flax or sesame seeds, frozen avo or coconut milk. Any nut butter of your choice - Sugar free peanut butter, almond, macadamia, cashew ect...
What other natural flavour combo's can I try...?
- Cinnamon, cinnamon and more cinnamon (strawberry and cinnamon)
- Nutmeg (nutmeg, cinnamon, almond butter and coconut milk)
- Fresh mint leaves (chocolate mint)
- Chili powder (chocolate chili)
- Himalayan salt (chocolate and sea salt)
UGH! Just a little bit sweeter!
- Our favourite natural sweeteners are: Raw honey, dates, banana or other fresh fruit, coconut blossom sugar or stevia.
Parting words of wisdom...
- Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - "Hippocrates"
The Wazoogles Team x
Taken from www.wazoogles.co.za, official website for Wazoogles Superfood.