If we could use only five words to describe Sprigs we would use -
We would love to know if there are any other words you would use to describe us, but for today we are focusing on our delicious, healthy and nourishing lunch table. Some of you might think that we just throw our salads togather and pray they go well and look great, but in fact a lot of thought and planning goes into our lunch table. Things we take into consideration are-
- Colour- We make sure there is a good balance of colour on the table. We don't want to much of one colour e.g. green. Saying that we make sure there is always a green salad on the table.
- Carbs- We never want more than two carbohydrates on the table. Don't get us wrong we love our starchy foods, but we like well rounded meals
- Pulses- We'll make sure well always put either beans or lentils in a salad to give you some extra protein.
- Weather- We need to take weather into consideration as we don't want summery salads on a cold winters day. If its cold we will have lots of spiced and heart warming salads.
- Vegan- We try everyday to have at least 3 Vegan salads. We know our tarts aren't Vegan and its very seldom our hot veggie dish is vegan so we still like to give the vegans some options.
- Creamy- We like to have one creamy dressing, whether its mayo or yoghurt.
- Fruity- We try put a bit of fruit in our salads to add a natural sweetness whether its dried cranberries or fresh fruit like orange segments.
- Nuts- We love garnishing our salads with crunchy nuts, but only ever on one salad as we do care about our nut allergy customers
- Seeds- What better way than to garnish your salads than with seeds! We love using a variety of seeds, toasted or flavoured.
- Tomatoes- We have a strict rule on always having tomatoes somewhere on the table. Tomatoes are one of the Clare and Fiona's favourite foods and never mind a great source of vitamin C.
- Raw Veggie- We all love crunchy salads and that is why we make sure there is a raw veggie salad on the table every day! Generally it is a green raw veggie salad but we do like to mix it up and do raw beetroot or butternut.
We don't just consider all of the above for our salads, we consider our hot meat and veggie dishes with these guide lines as well. If we have a saucy meat dish we will put couscous, rice, quinoa or pearl barley on the table to soak up the juices of the stew. The same goes with our veggie dish, if it is a potato curry, we won't have a potato salad on the table. You might wonder how we come up with some of the very different tarts we have. Well, we hate wasting anything! So our tarts are made up of salads from the day before. We do consider the flavour before we put them in the tart bases of course.
So there you have it. The guide line to our lunch table. We love coming up with new salads for you to try. Who could ever get bored when you are creating something new everyday!
We hope this can help you the next time you have a harvest table to create for your family.